5 TIPS TO INCREASE CONCENTRATION SPAN WHILE PREPARING FOR JEE
“Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out”
True to this, success tastes our patience and passion rigorously until we consume and imbibe it. In the present age of globalisation, characterised by a fierce and competitive world of battlefield , the path to achieve success is becoming more and more challenging and strenuous. This is true for every field of our life, particularly in the field of academics, and more so in the field of competitive exams. Competitive exams form the first major obstacles for the stepping stones of our success. It requires thorough determination, focus and utmost concentration to wear the winning hats in such.
There is no substitute for hard work isn’t it? And when specially your exams are knocking at your doors, the one and only option available is ‘to revise and revise’. Since the countdown has already begun for the most important Engineering entrance exam of 2021, the first attempt for Mains being in February, it’s nevertheless crucial now to leave no stones unturned for the acing of it. How often you have heard that it’s nearly impossible to crack JEE and get yourself admitted to the college you have aspired for so long! JEE is one of the most difficult entrance exam of the country and every year lakhs of students fight nearly neck to neck for cracking the same and get into their dream colleges. Therefore, it requires thorough preparation strategies and clear mind set in order for cracking zestfully the same. Infact , in this fierce battlefield of competition for dream colleges, the students need to brush up vigorously and rigorously to make their limits reach up to the sky and then happily conquering it. However, both JEE MAINS and ADVANCED require thorough preparations and ways in order to get through. From selection of study books and materials to your mentor to your revision strategies and to boosting up your confidence, each point is utterly crucial for making a big difference. But what’s most necessary in all these crucial factors? It’s “Concentration”…Without this, nearly all other efforts seem to be in vain. And for an exam like JEE, students need to increase their concentration span while preparing and revising. Unfortunately, most of the time, we find that these “young adults” get distracted easily. Most of the time they day dream, instead of putting actual focus on studies which eventually hamper their results. Increasing concentration span is something that many students need help in.
To do so, first, you must accept the fact that there is a problem. High concentration is necessary for the final leg of JEE Preparation, so its important to cultivate it early.
Mostly what we see are the effects of low concentration – backlog, bad performance, can’t catch up in class etc. Therefore here remains some of the easy tips to increase your concentration span:
- Identify Causes : Observe your schedule. See the time you put in every day. Identify thethings or objects that distract you. It could be someone’s call or WhatsApp etc. Try to explore the time which suits you, some people prefer studying at night while some wake up early in the morning. Stop procrastinating, build a study habit – When there is something you need to do to achieve a goal, do it at once.
- Achievable Goals: You must realise the fact that concentration can’t be increased overnight. So make short and achievable goals and work towards them. Don’t try studying 8–10 hours straight. No one has such good of a concentration span. You should take short breaks in every 2–2.30 hours. This would keep you attentive. These breaks should be 10–15 min where in you just stroll for a bit, drink water, etc. Don’t just grab your mobile phone as first of all, it distracts you and second, it doesn’t provide you with the rest you need.
- Rewards And Time : Plan work and small rewards to keep you motivated. It could be going for a walk or listening to a song or eating a snack. Basically, keep yourself motivated. Ensure that you can concentrate for at least 3 hours since the JEE Exam is of 3 hours. Don’t be stuck in a question for a long amount of time. If you can’t understand a question, just leave it for now and see the thorough solution later. Otherwise, you would get demotivated and hence you would probably just leave any further questions for the day. Do try the question properly, but don’t spend an absurd amount of time on it!
- Take Adequate Breaks : Take short breaks in long study hours – Deactivating and reactivating your goals allows you to stay focused. Small mental breaks will actually help you concentrate more on your studies. The idea should not be to torture yourself and give up on your sleep, a 6-8hrs sleep is necessary.
- Stay Happy And Motivated : This is very important. Try to build interest, one way to understand why those topics are important overall and don’t make studying a chore. Being motivated and surrounding yourself with positive people is the most important thing according to me.This would increase your productivity and help you to reach your true potential! Practise Meditation, it will help you rejuvenate your body and mind. Don’t just grab your mobile phone as first of all, it distracts you and second, it doesn’t provide you with the rest you need.
An exam like JEE requires perseverance, hard work and determination to succeed. However, always remember that, a strenuous and stressful preparation can never fetch you fruitful results. Also, it needs to be kept in mind that distractions of any kind may detach you from achieving longer goals, it may be useless thoughts as well! Hence, keep the old saying in mind that, “A magic only becomes reality with hard work, sweat and determination”. Therefore stay focused, be happy, and be confident in yourself, for “Concentration comes out of a combination of confidence and hunger”.(Arnold Palmer)